Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at Los Cerritos Center
- In 2014, the center installed 3,354 solar panels that will produce 872kw of power. That is enough energy saved to power 120 homes for one year!
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Most of the center’s trash is taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials and only discards the “true” waste.
- We also have installed a shared recycle compactor so the entire mall has the opportunity to recycle.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- Los Cerritos Center hosts a free two-day Electronic Waste Recycling Event annually around Earth Day to help
- In 2008, the center demolished the former Robinsons-May building to make way for the Nordstrom expansion project. Nearly 95 percent of the materials of the Robinsons-May building were recycled.
Los Cerritos Center is proud to partner with local nonprofit TreePeople to create a water-secure and climate-resilient Los Angeles. For more than 40 years, TreePeople has worked to grow a green LA--one with an abundant tree canopy to keep our city cool, healthy soil and clean local water. Visit TreePeople.org to learn more about their commitment to create healthy, shaded and safe cities.
Looking for a Unique Gift that Gives Back? Dedicate a Tree!
Visit Treepeople.org/tree-dedications to learn more. Tree dedications are the perfect way to show your love and support a sustainable community. Dedicate one tree in a loved one’s honor for only $25, or an entire grove for $100.
TreePeople also offers FREE workshops to learn how to capture rainwater at your home, how to plant natives in your yard and other solutions to fight drought starting at home. Visit Treepeople.org/calendar to view the workshop calendar.
FREE E-Waste Recycling Event
E-Waste is any consumer electronic equipment that has reached its 'end-of-life' or 'end-of-usage', w...